Kjetil Andre Mulelid has distinguished himself as an inventive artist, blending jazz, psalms, and improvised music. He grew up in the small village Hurdal, Akershus, and started playing classical piano at an early age. In 2010 he graduated from Jessheim high school where he had some really inspiring piano teachers who had introduced him to jazz etc: Ulrika Magdalena Lind, Morten Reppesgård and Jan Terje Augestad. Then he did one year at "Høgskolen i Staffeldstgate" in Oslo before he went to do a bachelor's degree in jazz performance at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim (NTNU, Jazzlinja). Here he really learned to use the piano as his own language with the great teachers Erling Aksdal, Vigleik Storaas, Espen Berg and Eyolf Dale. Later he has also graduated from the master's program at Rytmisk Musikkonservatorium in Copenhagen (DK) where he was guided by great musicians such as Kresten Osgood and Kasper Tranberg.
Mulelid has played concerts and frequently touring in Japan, the USA, and most of Europe (Scandinavia, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, England, Ireland, the
Faroe Islands, Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Serbia, Poland). Mulelid has played and worked/collaborated with many great musicians such as Arve Henriksen, Jason Moran, Barry Guy, Kirsti Huke, Ola Kvernberg, Eirik Hegdal, Sissel Vera Pettersen, Rob Waring, and Petter Vågan. Since 2015 he has been working as a freelance musician and a music educator.
He has also studied pedagogy studies and worked at highly respected music education schools. Former employers include NTNU Jazzlinja, Sund fhs., Trøndertun fhs., Trondheim Cathedral School and at Ole Vig High School.
Some press quotes:
- "So, lately, I’ve been addicted to the music of Kjetil André Mulelid" - Bird is the worm (US)
- “Mulelid leads his young trio with a maturity that contradicts his age” - All About Jazz (US)
- "Here and elsewhere, the pianist amplifies the material with intelligence and taste." - Textura Music (CA)
- “Kjetil Mulelid is not only a fascinating good pianist who draws on music that goes as far as psalm, folk, classical and pop as free jazz, he also knows how to translate these into strong compositions” - Dick Hovenga, Written in Music (NL)
- "Mulelid has carved out a distinctive niche for himself, neatly straddling the cusp between composition and improvisation and avoiding the clichés of both American and Scandinavian jazz." - Ian Mann, The Jazz Man (UK)
- "Mulelid presses the piano keys, as if he could make the difference between longing and melancholy, with powerful and agile cascades, ostinate increases, pearly embellishments." - Bad Alchemy (DE)
- “Pianisten, komponisten og bandlederen Kjetil Mulelid er en flott representant for den nye generasjonen jazzmusikere” - Tor Hammerø (NO)
- "Hans briljante lek langs hele ferden er ren klasse. Sjelden har jeg latt meg bergta mer av tangenter enn hva tilfellet er her. Det er intet mindre enn imponerende bra og hypnotiserende alt han gjør." - The Wilhelmsens (NO)
Interview with Jazz i Norge (NO) // November 2020
Letter to Now's the Time (NO) // August 2020
Interview with Paul Godderis, JazzHaol (BE) // June 2017
© Kjetil Mulelid